This is my favorite time of the year for so many reasons--cold weather, colorful leaves, fall smells, bonfires, pumpkin spice lattes--but most of all it's the season of new music! This year new albums have been dropping like crazy and I have been working hard on keeping up with all of my favorite artists and making sure to check out some new ones as well. It's been overwhelming trying to catch up with all the new releases, but so far I'm pretty impressed with what I've been listening to! So here's a little overview of what I've been listening to for the past few weeks.


The Sound of the Life of the Mind--Ben Folds Five: 
Ben Folds (and the Ben Folds Five) has never failed to amaze me and this album is no different. While Ben Folds has been releasing albums regularly throughout the years, this album is a comeback for the band. This album is softer and contains more ballads than previous Ben Folds Five albums but still represents their classic, unique sound and out-there lyrics, especially in songs like "Draw a Crowd" and "Michael Praytor, Five Years Later." At first listen, the softer, slower quality in most of the songs didn't grab my attention, but the more I listen, the more I fall in love with each song. Definitely a win for the Ben Folds Five and a great comeback album! 

Favorite songs: "Sky High," "Draw a Crowd," "Michael Praytor, Five Years Later," "Erase Me"

The Carpenter--The Avett Brothers
For me, this has been the year for roots/folk/Americana music. I just heard of the Avett Brothers this year and have since been obsessed with this band and this entire style of music. This is the best Avett Brothers album yet with a wide range of style and sound. I love how the Avett Brothers can deliver even the slowest song with such an enormous amount of energy. The Carpenter also really shows how this band can master a variety of styles from a soft folk ("The Once and Future Carpenter," "Through My Prayers") sound to a harder, edgier rock sound ("Paul Newman vs. The Demons"). I will be obsessively listening to this album for quite some time.

Favorite songs: "Live and Die," "The Once and Future Carpenter," "Paul Newman vs. the Demons," "I Never Knew You"

Tornado--Little Big Town
Although it came out a few weeks ago, I feel like I have to mention this album because I've been listening to it nonstop since it was released. I also know I've already raved about Little Big Town, but I'm going to do it again because Tornado is incredible! Once again LBT delivers an album with songs that deliver such perfect energy, raw emotion, and of course their signature harmony. Tornado has songs containing classic country elements such as "Pavement Ends," and more country/pop songs that everyone can enjoy like their summer hit "Pontoon." Just like every previous LBT album, Tornado also delivers the classic ballads filled with heartache, lost love, and pure raw emotion in "Your Side of the Bed" and "Can't Go Back." Tornado is just a perfect combination of fun, energetic songs and soft, passionate ballads. I can say that Tornado is by far my favorite LBT album! 

Favorite songs: "Pavement Ends," "Tornado," "Leavin' in Your Eyes," "Can't Go Back"  

Night Train--Jason Aldean
Jason Aldean's Night Train was just released a couple of days ago, and so far I'm actually not sure how I feel about it. I definitely enjoy a lot of Aldean's music. So many of his songs, such as "Dirt Road Anthem" and "Fly Over States" (love the Indiana mention!), fill me with nostalgia and memories of home that anyone from a small town can relate to. His newest release is no different with themes of small town life and being a country boy. Much of the music just sounds the same to me and nothing seems all too distinct in Night Train. I know Aldean is capable to being original as he showed with "Dirt Road Anthem." I'm just looking for that same originality and unique spark again. That being said, Night Train definitely has some excellent songs every country fan should take a listen to, such as "When She Says Baby," "I Don't Do Lonely Well," and "Talk." 

Some other albums I've been listening to: 
Night Visions--Imagine Dragons (Love it!) 
Babel--Mumford and Sons (I actually haven't had the chance to listen to it all the way through yet, but so far I'm enjoying it.)

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.